SALT LAKE CITY, UT – Fighting for their post-season lives, and leading 3-2, lone senior Parker McGuiness clinched the match for the Utes Saturday with a gutsy 6-4,7-6 win over Oliver Plaskett of Arizona. With the victory, the Utes move to 16-9 on the year and 2-5 in the PAC-12.
“It was a great experience playing in front of the fans who have supported me these last three years.” McGuiness stated after the victory. “It was pretty awesome to get a win for them and the team. I’m just happy we got the W.”
McGuiness attended North Carolina State his freshman year and joined the Utes in the fall of 2014 becoming a staple in the starting lineup. In his three seasons as a Ute, he has earned almost 50 career wins, a Pac-12 Player of the Week nod and the 2015 Team MVP award. After completing his final season as a Ute, he will earn a degree in Business Marketing.
In doubles play, the Utes were able to earn the point, putting them up 1-0 early on. At the No. 3 position in doubles, Santiago Sierra and Joe Woolley dominated Shoti Meparidze and Andres Reyes of Arizona 6-1. To seal the doubles point, Dan Little and Parker McGuiness were victorious against Trent Botha and Shoki Kasahara on the No. 2 court, with a final score of 6-3.
In singles action, Santiago Sierra and Egbert Weverink fell quickly at the number 3 and 6 position, putting the Wildcats ahead 2-1.
Down 2-1, the Utes rallied ferociously. David Micevski picked up a 6-3,6-1 victory at number 2 singles evening things at 2 all. Shortly after, Slava Shainyan continued his remarkable PAC-12 season defeating Arizona’s Shoki Kasahara, 7-5, 6-0, at the No. 4 position. Leading 3-2, Parker McGuiness won his final match at the Eccles Tennis Center, giving the Utes a 4-2 win.
The Utes will be back in action Wednesday in the Pac-12 Tournament. For the second time in as many years, The Utes will face Washington in the first round as the number 6 seed in the tournament. On April 9th, the Utes defeated the Huskies 4-2 in Salt Lake City.
Utah 4, Arizona 2
1. Dan Little (UTAH) vs. Shoti Meparidze (UA) 7-6, 2-5, unfinished
2. David Micevski (UTAH) def. Will Kneale (UA) 6-3, 6-1
3. Trent Botha (UA) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-3, 6-0
4. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Shoki Kasahara (UA) 7-5, 6-0
5. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Oliver Plaskett (UA) 6-4, 7-6
6. Andres Reyes (UA) def. Egbert Weverink (UTAH) 6-3, 7-5
1. Egbert Weverink/David Micevski (UTAH) vs. Oliver Plaskett/Will Kneale (UA) 3-3, unfinished
2. Dan Little/Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Trent Botha/Shoki Kasahara (UA) 6-3
3. Santiago Sierra/Joe Woolley (UTAH) def. Shoti Meparidze/Andres Reyes (UA) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,6,1,4,5)