Los Angeles, CA- The Utah Utes dropped a pair of PAC-12 matches on the road this weekend to a duo of top ten teams. The Utes fell to no. 7 UCLA 4-2 before losing to no. 6 USC 7-0. The Utes now sit at 15-9 on the 2017 campaign.
The Utes return home on April 22nd for senior day versus Arizona. First serve will be at 3:00 MT at the Eccles Tennis Center.
After dropping the doubles point and first singles point, Utah got on the board when Dan Little beat No. 43 Martin Redlicki at the No. 2 spot, 7-5, 6-1. It was Redlicki’s first loss since March 9, a run of six matches. Meanwhile, Little improved to 12-2 on the season in dual-match play.
The Utes evened the score at 2-2 when Parker McGuiness rallied to beat Austin Rapp at the No. 5 spot, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Despite battling back to tie the Bruins, Utah dropped singles matches at No. 6 and No. 1 to seal the contest.
Slava Shainyan, playing in the No. 4 spot, was tied with Logan Skaggs at one set apiece when the event was halted. Shainyan entered today with a record of 13-1 in dual matches this season.
UCLA 4, Utah 2
1. #20 Gage Brymer (UCLA) def. David Micevski (UTAH) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
2. Dan Little (UTAH) def. #43 Martin Redlicki (UCLA) 7-5, 6-1
3. Evan Zhu (UCLA) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-1, 6-3
4. Logan Staggs (UCLA) vs. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 4-6, 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
5. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Austin Rapp (UCLA) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Maxime Cressy (UCLA) def. Joe Woolley (UTAH) 6-3, 7-5
1. #10 Martin Redlicki/Evan Zhu (UCLA) vs. David Micevski/Egbert Weverink (UTAH) 4-4, unfinished
2. Joseph Di Giulio/Austin Rapp (UCLA) def. Dan Little/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-1
3. Maxime Cressy/Ben Goldberg (UCLA) def. Santiago Sierra/Joe Woolley (UTAH) 6-2
UCLA 15-4; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,2,5,6,1)
In doubles action, USC earned the doubles point against the Utes. The team of Dan Little and Egbert Weverink was defeated by Rob Bellamy and Jake Jaede at the No. 2 spot, with a score of 6-2. Then to card the doubles point for USC, Santiago Sierra and Joe Woolley were defeated with a final score of 6-3 at the No. 3 position, by Brandon Holt and Laurens Verboven.
Then in singles, David Micevski fell to Brandon Holt 6-0, 6-2, at the No. 1 position, along with Parker McGuiness carding a loss against Thibault Forget at the No. 5 spot, with a final score of 6-2, 6-1. Dan Little was then defeated by Nick Crystal at the No. 2 position 6-4, 6-2, with Joe Woolley soon following with a loss to Rob Bellamy 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 6 spot. At the No. 4 position, Slava Shainyan was defeated by Jack Jaede 7-6, 6-3. Then to finish things off for the Trojans, Logan Smith defeated Santiago Sierra at the No. 3 position with a final score of 7-6, 6-3, giving USC the 7-0 victory
USC 7, Utah 0
1. Brandon Holt (USC) def. David Micevski (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
2. Nick Crystal (USC) def. Dan Little (UTAH) 6-4, 6-2
3. Logan Smith (USC) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 7-6, 6-3
4. Jack Jaede (USC) def. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 7-6, 6-3
5. Thibault Forget (USC) def. Parker McGuiness
6. Rob Bellamy (USC) def. Joe Woolley 6-3, 6-4
(1) Holt/Verboven (USC) vs. Micevski/Weverink (UTAH) – 5-4 susp.
(2) Bellamy/Jaede (USC) def. Little/Shainyan (UTAH) – 6-2
(3) Crystal/Laser (USC) def. Sierra/Woolley (UTAH) – 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1, 5, 2, 6, 4, 3)