Salt Lake City, UT- The Utah Utes dropped a pair of PAC-12 matches on the road this weekend against no. 9 Cal, and no. 23 Stanford. With the losses, the Utes fall to 14-6 on the year and 0-2 in PAC-12 play.
The Utes are back in action at home this week after over a month on the road. Utah hosts Oregon on Friday, and Washington on Sunday which will be aired on PAC-12 Network.
The Bears got up early, earning the doubles point to go up 1-0 on the Utes. The doubles team of Bjorn Hoffman and J.T. Nishimura defeated Santiago Sierra and Joe Woolley on court No. 2, with a final score of 6-3. Then at the No. 3 doubles position, Filip Bergevi and Nico Brightbill defeated Parker McGuiness and Slava Shainyan 6-2, to get the point for the bears.
In singles, David Micevski was defeated 6-4, 6-1, at the No. 1 position to Andre Goransson, along with Santiago Sierra also falling short at the No. 2 position, losing 6-2, 6-1, to Billy Griffith. J.T. Nishimura then capped things off for the Bears at the No. 5 spot, defeating Joe Woolley 6-3, 6-3, giving Cal the victory.
The Utes will be back in action tomorrow, as they will travel a short distance to take on the 22nd ranked Stanford. The match against the Cardinal is set to begin at 1 p.m. MST, with play being held at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
1. Andre Goransson (Cal) def. David Micevski (Utah), 6-4, 6-1
2. Billy Griffith (Cal) def. Santiago Sierra (Utah), 6-2, 6-1
3. Filip Bergevi (Cal) vs. Parker McGuiness (Utah), 6-2, 5-2 Unfinished
4. Slava Shainyan (Utah) vs. Bjorn Hoffmann (Cal), 6-2, 3-5 Unfinished
5. J.T. Nishimura (Cal) def. Joe Woolley (Utah), 6-3, 6-3
6. Connor Heap (Cal) vs. Egbert Weverink (Utah), 7-6(5), 1-2 Unfinished
1. Egbert Weverink/David Micevski (Utah) vs. Andre Goransson/Billy Griffith (Cal), 4-3 Unfinished
2. Bjorn Hoffmann/J.T. Nishimura (Cal) def. Santiago Sierra/Joe Woolley (Utah), 6-3
3. Filip Bergevi/Dominic Barretto (Cal) def. Parker McGuiness/Slava Shainyan (Utah), 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,2,5)
In doubles action, the team of Santiago Sierra and Joe Woolley was defeated by William Genesen and Sameer Kumar at the No. 2 spot, with a score of 6-4. Then to card the doubles point for Stanford, Parker McGuiness and Slava Shainyan were defeated with a final score of 6-3 at the No. 3 position by Brandon Sutter and David Wilczynski.
At the No. 1 position in singles, David Micevski fell to Tom Fawcett 6-2, 6-1, along with Joe Woolley carding a loss against Brandon Sutter at the No. 5 position, with a final score of 6-4, 6-1. Parker McGuiness was then defeated by David Wilczynski at the No. 3 position to give the Cardinal the win, with a final score of 6-2, 6-2. With this win, Stanford has now moved to 2-0 in PAC-12 conference play.
Next weekend, the Utah men’s tennis team will be back at home for two Pac-12 conference matches. On Friday, the Utes are set to match up against the 23rd ranked Oregon Ducks, with play set to begin at 4 p.m. MST. Then to cap off the weekend, the Utes will match up against the Washington Huskies, with play set to begin at 1 p.m. MST on Sunday. Both matches will be held at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
1. Tom Fawcett (STAN) def. David Micevski (UTAH) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sameer Kumar (STAN) vs. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-3, 5-3, unf.
3. David Wilczynski (STAN) def. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) 6-2, 6-2
4. Svyatoslav Shainyan (UTAH) vs. Michael Genender (STAN) 6-4, 4-1, unf.
5. Brandon Sutter (STAN) def. Joe Woolley (UTAH) 6-4, 6-1
6. William Genesen (STAN) vs. Egbert Weverink (UTAH) 6-4, 5-3, unf.
1. Tom Fawcett/Yale Goldberg (STAN) vs. David Micevski/Egbert Weverink (UTAH) 5-2 Unfinished
2. William Genesen/Sameer Kumar (STAN) def. Santiago Sierra/Joe Woolley (UTAH) 6-4
3. Brandon Sutter/David Wilczynski (STAN) def. Parker McGuiness/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,5,3)