LOS ANGELES, Calif. – After defeating Lamar University on Thursday, the University of Utah men’s tennis team defeated Loyola Marymount University with a final score of 5-2. With this win, the Utes move to 13-4 overall.
The Utes got off to a great start by taking the doubles point. The doubles team of Joe Woolley and Santiago Sierra cruised by Cartier Juan and Max Kaiser at the No. 2 position, with a final score of 6-1. Then to finish off doubles play and secure the point, Slava Shainyan and Azat Hankuliyev defeated Ryan Brown and Luke Bohuslav at the No. 3 spot, with a final score of 6-4.
In singles action, Slava Shainyan was dominant at the No. 5 position, defeating Alex Bourgeois 6-2, 6-1. Then at the No. 6 spot, Egbert Weverink edged out Ryan Brown with a final score of 6-3, 6-2, with Parker McGuiness also carding a win at the No. 3 position, defeating Max Kaiser with a final score of 6-2, 6-7. David Micevski then finished things off for the Utes, defeating Nick Borchenko with a final score of 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, giving the Utes the win.
The University of Utah men’s tennis team will be back in action on March 29th, as the Utes are set to match up against the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California. The match time against the Tigers is scheduled for 1 p.m. PT
1. David Micevski (UTAH) def. Nick Borchenko (LMU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. Gabriel Diaz Friere (LMU) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-3, 7-5
3. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) Max Kaiser (LMU) 6-2, 7-6
4. Luke Bohuslav (LMU) def. Joe Woolley (UTAH) 6-4, 6-1
5. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Alex Bourgeois (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Egbert Weverink (UTAH) def. Ryan Brown (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Nick Borchenko/Gabriel Diaz Friere (LMU) def. Egbert Weverink/David Micevski (UTAH) 6-4
2. Joe Woolley/Santiago Sierra (UTAH) def. Cartier Juan/Max Kaiser (LMU) 6-1
3. Azat Hankuliyev/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Luke Bohuslav/Ryan Brown (LMU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,4,3,2,1)