SALT LAKE CITY, UT – The Utes concluded President’s Day weekend play with a heartbreaking loss to New Mexico, and a sweep over Montana. The Utes moved to 10-2 on the 2017 campaign.
Against New Mexico, the Lobos took the early edge by winning the doubles point. Woolley and Little were the only doubles team to card a win for the Utes, defeating Ricky Hernandez-Tong and Lawrence Perrin 6-3, at the No. 1 position.
In singles action, Slava Shainyan dominated in his victory over Lawrence Perrin, with a final score of 6-1, 6-0, at the No. 5 spot. Dan Little then cruised past Rodolfo Jauregui 6-1, 6-4, at the No. 2 position. Joe Woolley defeated Jorge Escutia 6-2, 6-2, at the No. 6 position to give the Utes a 3-1 lead.After a pair of straight set losses by David Micevski at the No. 1 position, and Parker McGuiness at the No. 3 position, the Lobos evened the match at 3. With the score tied 3-3, Dominic West of New Mexico defeated Santiago Sierra by a final score of 7-5, 4-6, 6-4, giving the Lobos the victory.
The Utes rolled through the Grizzlies to cap the day. Joe Woolley and Dan Little executed great teamwork defeating Yannik Schmidl and Alex Canellopoulos 6-2, at the No. 1 position. Utah secured the doubles point when Slava Shainyan and Azat Hankuliyev defeated Victor Casadevall and Ignacio Tejerina 6-4, at the No. 3 spot.
The Utes quickly finished singles play with wins in straight sets by Egbert Weverink, Santiago Sierra, Little, David Micevski, and Shainyan. Woolley then was victorious after a tie breaker set with Max Korkh, by a final score of 4-6, 6-2, 10-5, to conclude pay.
The Utes will be back in action Friday March 3rd at the University of Iowa, with play starting against the Hawkeyes starting at 12 p.m. (MST).
New Mexico 4, Utah 3
1. Bart Van Leijsen (UNM) def. David Micevski (UTAH) 6-3, 6-3
2. Dan Little (UTAH) def. Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM) 6-1, 6-4
3. Ricky Hernandez-Tong (UNM) def. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) 7-5, 6-1
4. Dominic West (UNM) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
5. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Lawrence Perrin (UNM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Joe Woolley (UTAH) def. Jorge Escutia (UNM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Joe Woolley/Dan Little (UTAH) def. Ricky Hernandez-Tong/Lawrence Perrin (UNM) 6-3
2. Bart Van Leijsen/Dominic West (UNM) def. David Micevski/Egbert Weverink (UTAH) 6-4
3. Sean Baklini/Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM) def. Santiago Sierra/Slava Shainyan (UTAH) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,6,1,3,4)
Utah 7, Montana 0
1.David Micevski (UTAH) def. Yannk Schmidl (MON) 6-4, 6-2
2. Dan Little (UTAH) def. Victor Casadevall (MON) 6-0, 6-3
3. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) def. Peter Fleming (MON) 6-4, 6-2
4. Joe Woolley (UTAH) def. Max Korkh (MON) 4-6, 6-2, 10-5
5. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) def. Alex Canellopoulos (MON) 6-4, 6-2
6. Egbert Weverink (UTAH) def. Ludvig Hallgren (MON) 6-3, 6-4
1. Joe Woolley/Dan Little (UTAH) def. Yannik Scmidl/Alex Canellopoulos (MON) 6-2
2. Egbert Weverink/David Micevski (UTAH) vs. Peter Flemming/Max Korkh (MON) 5-5, unf.
3. Slava Shainyan/Azat Hankuliyev (UTAH) def. Victor Casadevall/Ignacio Tejerina (MON) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,3,2,1,5)