OJAI, Calif. – In a pulsating first-round match that came down to a thrilling third set at the No. 3 singles position, Utah Men’s Tennis was topped by Washington at the Pac-12 Championships, 4-3.
“Today was another great fight with Washington and unfortunately we came up a few points short from an upset,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu, “As hard as these losses are, I’m proud of the hard work our guys have put in and the progress we have made this year. Our experiences from this year should propel us into a successful year next season.”
The Utes finish 17-10, the most wins for the program since 1988 and the highest win total since the NCAA limited competition dates to 25.
The Utes dropped the doubles point as the pairings of Swiggart/McGuiness and Weverink/McGeehan suffered setbacks
Utah quickly evened the score when David Micevski beat Enzo Sommer at the No. 2 position, 6-4, 6-4. However, Kawika Lam topped Jamey Swiggart at the No. 6 spot, 7-5, 6-4 as the Huskies regained the lead.
Egbert Weverink came through with a win at the No. 4 position, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 over Jake Douglas to tie things up but once more, the Utes fell behind when Mitch Stewart beat Matt Cowley, 7-5, 6-3. Facing elimination and down a set, Parker McGuiness rallied to knock off Sebastian Hawken, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 and put all the eyes on the final singles match between Gal Hakak and Dan Little.
Hakak captured the first set between the two competitors, 6-1, but the Utah freshman fought back to win the second set, 6-4. The third set was evenly matched, and Little trailed 5-4 but was serving to even the score. Unfortunately, he dropped the game and UW advanced to tomorrow’s quarterfinals.
Utah also lost 4-3 at UW during the regular season and 4-0 at last year’s Pac-12 Championships.
Washington 4, Utah 3
1. #91 Mitch Stewart (UW) def. Matt Cowley (UU) 7-5, 6-3
2. David Micevski (UU) def. Enzo Sommer (UW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Gal Hakak (UW) def. Dan Little (UU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
4. Egbert Weverink (UU) def. Jake Douglas (UW) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
5. Parker McGuiness (UU) def. Sebastian Hawken (UW) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Kawika Lam (UW) def. Jamey Swiggart (UU) 7-5, 6-4
1. No. 87 Little/Cowley (UU) vs. Foley/Watanabe (UW) 5-3 unf.
2. Lam/Sommer (UW) def. McGuiness/Swiggart (UU) 6-3
3. Douglas/Hakak (UW) def. Weverink/McGeehan (UU) 6-3