The Utah men’s tennis team (16-7, 0-4) fell to No. 29 Washington (16-5, 3-1) and No. 39 Oregon (15-4, 2-2) on the road last weekend. The Utes dropped a heartbreaker to the Washington Huskies, 4-3, and were swept by the Oregon Ducks, 4-0. The Utes look to rebound at home versus No. 6 UCLA and No. 9 UCLA this weekend.
The day began with a doubles victory at the No. 3 position for the Huskies, but Utah quickly evened the score thanks to senior Matt Cowley and freshmen Dan Little earning a 6-1 victory over Piers Foley and Wendell Watanabe. Washington clinched the doubles point with Kawika Lam and Enzo Sommer defeating Parker McGuiness and Jamey Swiggart 7-5.
Jamey Swiggart kept the match alive with a three-set win over Piers Foley to make the overall score 3-2. However, No. 84 Mitch Stewart defeated Matt Cowley in three sets 0-6, 6-4, 6-4 to clinch the match for the Huskies.
Senior Matt Cowley and freshmen Dan Little fell to Jayson Amos and Soemarno 6-2, and the doubles point was clinched by Clissold and Laurent over sophomores Freddie McGeehan and Egbert Weverink 6-4.
The first singles match victory came for Amos with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Weverink. Simon Stevens defeated freshmen David Micevski 6-1, 7-6 (7-4) to put the Ducks up 3-0. The match was clinched by Ethan Young-Smith over senior Jamey Swiggart 7-5, 6-3. The rest of the matches were called early after the match was officially clinched.
Back Home This Week
The Utes continue Pac-12 play at home at the Eccles Tennis Center on Friday, Apr. 8 against No. 9 USC where they look to get their first Pac-12 win at 4 pm MT. Utah will also host No. 5 UCLA on Sunday, Apr. 10 at noon MT.
1. No. 84 Mitch Stewart (UW) def. Matt Cowley (Utah), 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 3, 6, 1, 2
No. 39 Oregon 4, Utah 0
1. Amos/Soemarno (UO) def. Cowley/Little (UTAH) 6-2
2. Maasland/Stevens (UO) vs. McGuinness/Swiggart (UTAH) 4-3, unf.
3. Clissold/Laurent (UO) def. Weverink/McGeehan (UTAH) 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Daan Maasland (UO) vs. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 7-6(5), 4-5, unf.
2. Simon Stevens (UO) def. David Micevski (UTAH) 6-1, 7-6(4)
3. Thomas Laurent (UO) vs. Dan Little (UTAH) 6-2, 6-6
4. Jayson Amos (UO) def. Egbert Weverink (UTAH) 6-2, 6-3
5. Cormac Clissold (UO) vs. Parker McGuinness (UTAH) 6-3, 0-6, 4-1, unf.
6. Ethan Young-Smith (UO) def. Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 2, 6