Salt Lake City, UT – The University of Utah men’s tennis team (11-1) was edged by BYU (9-1) at the Eccles Tennis Center on Saturday in the Deseret First Duel, 5-2 .
“We didn’t play our best tennis today,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu, “But I’m very proud with the way we fought. This is a great lesson for our team and we’ll grow from this experience
Matt Cowley and Jamey Swiggart teamed up at No. 1 doubles to secure the first doubles match of the day for Utah over the Cougar’s Jeremy Bourgeois and Shane Monroe, 6-2. BYU rallied to narrowly take the doubles point away from the Utes after securing matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
In singles play, David Micevski evened the score at 1-1 after defeating Andrey Goryachkov 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 3 spot. Shane Monroe and Jacob Sullivan put the Cougars ahead 3-1 after getting past the Utes at the No. 1 and No. 4 positions. Santiago Sierra fought valiantly, down one set and 4-5 in the second set, to clinch a 4-6, 7-6, 6-3 win over John Pearce at the No. 6 spot. The Cougars sealed the match after Jeremy Bourgeois defeated Jamey Swiggart in a three-set thriller, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3. At the No. 2 spot, Dan Little fell in an epic bout 6-7, 7-6, 7-5 to Keaton Cullimore to make the final score 5-2.
Next weekend, the Utes travel to Albuquerque, New Mexico to face New Mexico, DePaul, and New Mexico State.
BYU 5, Utah 2
1. Cowley/Swiggart (UU) def. Bourgeois/Monroe (BYU) 6-2
2. Cullimore/Goryachkov (BYU) def. Weverink/Sierra (UU) 6-4
3. Sullivan/Pearce (BYU) def. Little/Micevski (UU) 6-2
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Shane Monore (BYU) def. Matt Cowley (UU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Dan Little (UU) 6-7, 7-6, 7-5
3. David Micevski (UU) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jacob Sullivan (BYU) def. Egbert Weverink (UU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) def. Jamey Swiggart (UU) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
6. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. John Pearce (BYU) 4-6, 7-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,1,4,6,5,2