Salt Lake City, UT – The University of Utah men’s tennis team (7-0, 0-0 Pac-12) defeated Northern Arizona, 7-0, and Weber State, 5-2, to remain undefeated on the season. At 7-0 the Utes now have their best start of a season since 2005, when the Utes went 8-0 before dropping a match to Penn.
“I’m happy with the two wins today, but not content with the way we played,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu. “If we want to reach our goals, we will have to play and compete better than the way we did today.”
In the morning match against Northern Arizona, the Utes started off slow and almost lost the doubles point, but seniors Jamey Swiggart and Matt Cowley pulled through and were able to clinch the doubles point by defeating Schumann and Taylor 7-6(4) in the deciding doubles match.
In singles play, the Utes won every singles match in straight sets to give the Utes a 7-0 win. Sophomore Johan Jonhagen was appointed Man of the Match.
Utah capped off the day with a 5-2 victory over in-state rival Weber State. Highlight of the day was the return of last year’s MVP Parker McGuiness, who had been out since early November with a fractured ankle.
“It’s so nice to have Parker back in the line up,” said Coach Brateanu. “He has worked very hard to get healthy and will have a major impact on our team this year.”
The Utes took the doubles point in convincing fashion, winning at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, giving them a 1-0 lead.
In singles play Santiago Sierra, Parker McGuiness and David Micevski quickly earned victories at No. 6, No. 3 and No. 4 singles respectively, to put the Utes out of reach for the Wildcats. Santiago Sierra was named Man of the Match.
Next week, Utah will play another double header at the Eccles Tennis Center, when they face the University of Montana (12pm) and Montana State University (5pm).
Utah (6-0) def. Northern Arizona (0-2) 7-0
1. Montano/Handel (NAU) def. Weverink/Sierra (UU) 7-6(7)
2. Cowley/Swiggart def. Schumann/Taylor (NAU) 7-6(4)
3. Jonhagen/Micevski (UU) def. Peleg/Fisher (NAU) 6-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. Matt Cowley (UU) def. Tim Handel (NAU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Egbert Weverink (UU) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
3. David Micevski (UU) def. Lucas Taylor (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jamey Swiggart (UU) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Johan Jonhagen (UU) def. Jackson Lee (NAU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. Thomas Fisher (NAU) 7-6(4), 6-2
Order of finish: 5,3,4,6,1,3
Utah (7-0) def. Weber State (0-2) 5-2
1. Weverink/Sierra (UU) def. Cooper/Goswami (NAU) 6-2
2. Cowley/Swiggart (UU) def. Fought/Gewert (NAU) 6-3
3. Jonhagen/Micevski (UU) def. Chen/Barlow (NAU) 4-3 DNF
Order of finish: 1,2
1. Matt Cowley (UU) def. Jakob Gewert (WSU) 6-2, 5-5 defaulted
2. Todd Fought (WSU) def. Egbert Weverink (UU) 7-6(2), 6-3
3. Parker McGuiness (UU) def. Edward Chen (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. David Micevski (UU) def. Landon Barlow (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Stefan Cooper (WSU) def. Johan Jonhagen (UU) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
6. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. Sanjay Goswami (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 6,3,4,2,1,5