Salt Lake City, UT – The University of Utah men’s tennis team (5-0) maintained its early season momentum on Sunday at the Eccles Tennis Center. Utah notched two victories in its home opener: a 4-0 sweep against the Nevada Wolfpack (1-2) and a 6-1 win over the Idaho State Bengals.
“We survived another weekend and came up with two good wins,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu, “The adjustment back from Hawaii was not easy, but we handled it well.”
The senior tandem of Matt Cowley and Jamey Swiggart secured a quick doubles victory for Utah against Nevada, 6-1. The Utes clinched the doubles point after sophomores Egbert Weverink and Santiago Sierra won a tightly contested tiebreak over the Wolfpack’s team of Robert and Allan, 7-6(5). Utah did not let up in singles play, securing victories at No. 1, No. 5, and No. 6 singles to finish a sweep of Nevada.
Utah rolled in doubles play versus Idaho State, winning 6-3 and 6-0 at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles respectively to gain a 1-0 lead. The Utes extended their lead to 3-0 after sophomores Johan Jonhagen and Santiago Sierra notched wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles positions. Senior Matt Cowley sent the Utes to 5-0 on the season after defeating the Bengal’s Sebastian Edin at the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 6-4. Utah and Idaho State opted to finish the remaining matches, and Egbert Weverink and Jamey Swiggart made the final score 6-1 following wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.
Utah looks to continue its winning ways as the team hosts Northern Arizona (noon) and Weber State (5 p.m.) on Saturday, January 30 at the Eccles Tennis Center.
Utah 4, Nevada 0
1. Weverink/Sierra (UU) def. Allan/Poustie (NEV) 7-6(5)
2. Cowley/Swiggart (UU) def. O’Donovan/Breust (NEV) 6-1
3. Jonhagen/Micevski (UU) vs. Andrada/Margitfalvi Vollath/Clayton (SAC) 6-6
Order of finish: 2,1
1. Matt Cowley (UU) def. Ryan Andrada (NEV) 6-3, 6-4
2. Egbert Weverink (UU) vs. Andrew Poustie (NEV) 6-3, 6-2 DNF
3. David Micevski (UU) vs. Mile Cilic (NEV) 6-2, 5-2 DNF
4. Jamey Swiggart (UU) vs. Robert Allan (NEV) 6-3, 4-4 DNF
5. Johan Jonhagen (UU) vs. Robert Margitfalvi (NEV) 6-0, 6-0
6. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. Peter O’Donovan (NEV) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 5,6,1
Utah 6, Idaho State 1
1. Weverink/Sierra (UU) def. Edin/Edin (ISU) 6-3
2. Cowley/Swiggart (UU) vs. Scheepbouwer/Goodwin (ISU) 4-4 DNF
3. Jonhagen/Micevski (UU) def. Filipovich/Steadman (ISU) 6-0
Order of finish: 2,1
1. Matt Cowley (UU) def. Sebastian Edin (ISU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Egbert Weverink (UU) def. William Edin (ISU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-5
3. Jamey Swiggart (UU) def. Bjorn Scheepbouwer (ISU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Johan Jonhagen (UU) def. Josh Goodwin (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. Francis Filipovich (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
6. ISU def. Utah (default)
Order of finish: 5, 4, 1, 3, 2