Honolulu, HI – The injury plagued University of Utah men’s tennis team (3-0) has done something no Utah team has done in over 35 years; win its first three road matches of the year. The Utes hung on for their 3rd victory of the season with a 4-1 win over Sacramento State University.
“To go 3-0 on the road and to do something no Utah team has done in so long is pretty special,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu. “This is a pretty special group of guys and, despite the many injuries, this is a great start of our season.”
Utah started the day off slow and, for a while, it looked like it was on its way to lose its first doubles point of the year. With the doubles point on the line in the deciding doubles match, Sacramento State served for the match at No. 2 doubles and even had two match points, but Matt Cowley and Jamey Swiggart were able to turn the tide and come up with an improbable victory for the Utes.
Sacramento State quickly evened the score at No. 1 singles where Mikus Losbergs defeated senior Matt Cowley, 6-2, 6-2. But senior Jamey Swiggart put the Utes back up 2-1, with a straight set victory at No. 4 singles. Sophomore Santiago Sierra kept his unbeaten singles streak alive by earning yet another straight set victory at No. 6 singles, putting the Utes up 3-1.
Man of the Match Egbert Weverink finally dealt Sacramento State the final blow, clinching the match for the Utes with a 6-4, 6-3 victory at No. 2 singles.
The Utes will fly back to Salt Lake City tonight and will start preparing for their home opener on Sunday, January 24 to face the University of Nevada at 10am and Idaho State University at 3pm. Both matches will be played at the Eccles Tennis Center.
Utah def. Sacramento State 4-1
1. #30 Losbergs/Zemaitelis (SAC) def. Weverink/Sierra (UU) 6-2
2. Cowley/Swiggart (UU) def. Marquez/Miller (SAC) 7-6(2)
3. Jonhagen/Micevski (SAC) def. Vollath/Clayton (SAC) 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Mikus Losbergs (SAC) def. Matt Cowley (UU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Egbert Weverink (UU) def. Joaquin Marquez (SAC) 6-4, 6-3
3. David Micevski (UU) vs. Kasparas Zemaitelis (SAC) 6-3, 5-3 DNF
4. Jamey Swiggart (UU) def. Uli Vollath (SAC) 6-4, 6-2
5. Johan Jonhagen (UU) vs. Christopher Clayton (SAC) 4-6, 2-4 DNF
6. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. Dom Miller (SAC) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,4,5,2