Honolulu, HI – The University of Utah men’s tennis team earned its second victory of the 2016 season by defeating the University of Hawaii, 4-0. With the win, the Utes improve to 2-0 on the season.
“Congrats to the boys for an outstanding battle today,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu. “We knew Hawaii is a very good team and we are very fortunate to come up with a win today.”
With a 1-0 lead, the Utes carried the momentum into singles play winning the first set in five of the six singles matches. Senior Jamey Swiggart led the charge, earning a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 4 singles, earning him the Player of the Match award.
Johan Jonhagen put the Utes up 3-0 with a straight set victory at No. 5 singles, leaving the honors to Santiago Sierra, at No. 6 singles, to clinch the match for the Utes. The remaining matches were not finished.
Utah will have a very short turnaround and will face Sacramento State tomorrow morning at 9am in Honolulu, Hawaii, concluding its road trip in the Aloha state.
Utah def. Hawaii 4-0
1. Wehnett/Albert (UH) def. Sierra/Weverink (UU) 7-5
2. Cowley/Swiggart (UU) def. Chan/Storch (UH) 7-5
3. Micevski/Jonhagen (UU) def. Kolaric/Pinola (UH) 7-6(5)
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Matt Cowley (UU) vs. Felix Albert (UH) 6-1, 5-7, DNF
2. Egbert Weverink (UU) vs. Kai Wehnelt (UH) 4-6, 6-1, 0-1 DNF
3. David Micevski (UU) vs. Marcel Chan (UH) 6-3, 4-3 DNF
4. Jamey Swiggart (UU) def. Igor Kolaric (UH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Johan Jonhagen (UU) def. Ruben Blattner (UH) 6-1, 6-3
6. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. Nikolai Storch (UH) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,5,6