Honolulu, HI – Down four players, the University of Utah men’s tennis team pulled off a gutsy win over the 55th ranked University of San Francisco Dons, 5-2, to start off the 2016 season.
“I can’t ask much more from my guys,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu. “I’m incredibly proud of our accomplishment today. This was a complete team effort.”
The Utes started off winning the doubles point to go up 1-0, after winning at No. 2 & 3 doubles. Players of the Day, David Micevski and Johan Jonhagen, came up huge for Utah, clinching the deciding doubles match, 6-4.
Up 1-0, the Dons tied the match at 1-1 quickly after earning a decisive victory at No. 4 singles, where Ryan Marker beat Jamey Swiggart, 6-1, 6-1. But, as they did so many times last year, sophomores Santiago Sierra and Johan Jonhagen earned hard fought, straight set victories at No. 5 and 6 singles, putting the Utes back on top, 3-1.
Freshman David Micevski, who joined the team less than two weeks ago, clinched the match with a 7-6(4), 6-4 win at No. 3 singles over senior Vasco Valverde.
The Utes will enjoy a day off tomorrow and prepare for Sunday’s matchup with the hosts University of Hawaii at noon.
Utah def. No. 55 San Francisco 5-2
1. Skajaa/Valverde def. Sierra/Weverink 6-2
2. Cowley/Swiggart def. Brockstedt/Maguire 6-4
3. Jonhagen/Micevski def. Takemoto/Marker 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Nils Skajaa (USF) def. Matt Cowley (UU) 6-7(5), 7-5, 10-6
2. Egbert Weverink (UU) def. Thomas Takemoto (USF) 4-6, 7-6(5), 1-1 ret.
3. David Micevski (UU) def. Vasco Valverde (USF) 7-6(4), 6-4
4. Ryan Marker (USF) def. Jamey Swiggart (UU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Johan Jonhagen (UU) def. Tynan Maguire (USF) 7-6(2), 7-5
6. Santiago Sierra (UU) def. Woravin Kumthonkittkul (USF) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish 4,6,5,3,2,1