Albuquerque, NM – Heading into the third day of the 2015 ITA Regionals in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Utes will be represented with three singles players in the round of 16 and two doubles teams in the quarterfinals.
In singles play, fifth seeded Parker McGuiness powered his way into the round of 16 winning two matches on Thursday. In the 2nd round he defeated Yannick Schmidl (Montana), 6-1, 6-2, followed up with a straight set victory over Weber State’s Jakob Gewert 6-3, 7-6(4).
Freshman Dan Little earned his way into the round of 16 with two decisive victories. In the 2nd round the Brit beat Lucas Coutinho (Idaho), 6-3, 6-4, followed by a 6-1, 6-4 victory in the third round over Augustus Ge (New Mexico).
Joining Little and McGuiness in the round of 16 is Matt Cowley. The lone senior on the trip defeated Sean Baklini, 7-5, 6-1 in the 2nd round, but needed three sets to defeat Cristofer Goncalves, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3. It marks the first time Cowley has reached the round of 16 at the Regional Championships.
In doubles play, Matt Cowley and Egbert Weverink defeated Utah State’s Swindell/Maier, 8-2, to reach the quarterfinals. Joining them are sophomores Freddie McGeehan and Santiago Siera. That Ute tandem defeated Bourgeois/Canales (BYU), 8-4.
Friday will hold 1 round of doubles at 9am and 2 rounds of singles starting at 10.30am, including consolation matches.
2nd Round Singles:
(5) Parker McGuiness def. Yannick Schmidl (Montana) 6-1, 6-2
(8) Dan Little def. Lucas Coutinho (Idaho) 6-3, 6-4
Daniel Echeverry (USU) def. (15) Freddie McGeehan 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
(23) Egbert Weverink def. Isaac Perez (Air Force) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
(26) Matt Cowley def. Sean Baklini (New Mexico) 7-5, 6-1
(11) Jaime Barajas (USU) def. Santiago Sierra 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
3rd Round Singles:
(5) Parker McGuiness def. Jacob Gewert (WSU) 6-3, 7-6(4)
(8) Dan Little def. August Ge (UNM) 6-1, 6-4
(1) Henry Craig (DU) def. (23) Egbert Weverink 6-2, 6-2
(23) Matt Cowley def. (14) Cristofer Goncalves 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
Rd 16 Doubles:
(5) Weverink/Cowley def. Maier/Swindells 8-2
(10) Cullimore/Pearce def. (6) McGuiness/Little 8-6
McGeehan/Sierra def. Bourgeois/Canales 8-4