Salt Lake City – The University of Utah men’s tennis team (10-12, 0-6 Pac-12) was defeated by Oregon (13-8, 2-4 Pac-12) on Friday at Coach Mike’s Tennis Academy, 4-0.
On a day where three players were unable to play due to injury, the Utes struggled to gain traction in doubles playing, falling at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions. Up 1-0, Oregon maintained the momentum in singles play. Freshman Santiago Sierra was defeated by Jayson Amos at the No. 4 slot, 6-2, 6-1, while Willems was defeated by No. 122 Daan Maasland at the first position, 6-3, 6-1. Oregon clinched the match at 4-0 when Louis-Phillippe Gascon suffered a 7-5, 6-1 loss to Joey Swaysland at the No. 6 spot. All other matches were abandoned.
Utah closes out its regular season on Saturday, April 18 at home versus Arizona. The match will start at 11 a.m. at Coach Mike’s Tennis Academy, weather permitting.
#56 Oregon 4, Utah 0
1. #122 Daan Maasland (OREGON) def. Cedric Willems (UTAH) 6-3, 6-1
2. Daniel Sardu (OREGON) vs. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) 6-4, 5-2 unfinished
3. Matt Cowley (UTAH) vs. Simon Stevens (OREGON) 7-5, 3-3 unfinished
4. Jayson Amos (OREGON) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-2, 6-1
5. Cormar Clissold (OREGON) vs. Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) 6-3, 5-2 unfinished
6. Joey Swaysland (OREGON) def. Louis-Phillippe Gascon (UTAH) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 4,1,6
1. Matt Cowley/Cedric Willems (UTAH) vs. Daan Maasland/Simon Stevens (OREGON) 4-2
2. Cormar Clissold/Jayson Amos (OREGON) def. Parker McGuiness/Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) 6-1
3. Joey Swaysland/Brent Chin (OREGON) def. Santiago Sierra/Justin Archer (UTAH) 6-1
Order of finish: 2,3