PROVO, Utah – The University of Utah men’s tennis team (8-5) netted a 4-2 victory over BYU (7-7, 1-0 WCC) Friday at the Indoor Tennis Courts, which marked its second-straight win over the Cougars and first win in Provo since 2008.
“To come into enemy territory, lose your top player and still come out on top is a great accomplishment,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu. “I’m so proud of our guys and all the hard work they’ve put in. This is such a great team win!”
The Utes took an early 1-0 lead after nabbing the doubles point with wins at the first and third positions. Senior Cedric Willems and junior Matt Cowley routed Andrey Goryachkov and Francis Sargeant at the top spot, 6-4, while sophomore Parker McGuiness and junior Jamey Swiggartnabbed a 7-6(2) victory over Shane Monroe and Jeremy Bourgeois at the No. 2 slot.
The Cougars tied the match at one apiece when Willems fell to Sargeant, 6-0, 6-2, at the No. 1 singles position. McGuiness put Utah back up 2-1 at the No. 2 spot, topping Goryachkov, 7-5, 6-2. The match was then tied at 2-2 when Cowley was defeated by Monroe at the No. 3 slot, 6-2, 7-6(4).
The Utes found their winning momentum as freshman Freddie McGeehan netted a three-set thriller over Bourgeois at the No. 4 position, 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-2. Freshman Johan Jonhagen clinched the match at 4-2 at the fifth slot, topping Aidan Carrazedo, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4. At the No. 6 spot, Santiago Sierra took the first set 6-4 and was up 5-4 in the second set and 30-0 on the serve against David Ball before the match was abandoned.
Utah returns home to host New Mexico Friday, March 13, at 6 p.m. MT.
Utah 4, Brigham Young 2
1. Cedric Willems/Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. GORYACHKOV, Andrey/SARGEANT, Francis (BYU-M) 6-4
2. SULLIVAN, Jacob/BALL, David (BYU-M) def. Santiago Sierra/Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) 6-4
3. Parker McGuiness/Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) def. MONROE, Shane/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU-M) 7-6 (7-2) Order of finish: 1,2,3
- SARGEANT, Francis (BYU-M) def. Cedric Willems (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
- Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU-M) 7-5, 6-2
- MONROE, Shane (BYU-M) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
- Freddie McGeehan (UTAH) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU-M) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 6-2
- Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU-M) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
- Santiago Sierra (UTAH) vs BALL, David (BYU-M) 6-4, 5-4 (UNF)