BOISE, Idaho – The 73rd ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team (7-5) battled for every point against No. 44 Penn (8-1) Saturday at the Boas Tennis Center, but came up just short of an upset, 4-3.
“Today was a heart breaker,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu, “But I think we take away so many positives from this match and this weekend. We showed great heart, great fight and almost upset two very
good teams. Even though we lost, we improved as a team and learned some valuable lessons. I hope our young team will walk away from this weekend with their heads up high.”
The Utes secured the doubles point behind strong wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. The Quakers tied the match at 1-1 when Santiago Sierra fell 6-0, 6-2 to Blaine Willenborg at the No. 4 singles position. Freshman Freddie McGeehan put the Utes up 2-1 after defeating Matt Nardella at the No. 3 spot, 7-6(4), 6-3.
Parker McGuiness earned a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Vim De Alwis at the No. 1 position. Penn then rallied to take the next three points at the No. 2, 5 and 6 positions to edge the Utes, 4-3.
Utah heads to Provo on Friday, March 6 to face BYU at 5:30 p.m. MT.
#44 Penn 4, #73 Utah 3
1. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Vim De Alwis (PENN) 6-2, 7-5
2. Jeremy Court (PENN) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 6-4
3. Freddie McGeehan (UTAH) def. Matt Nardella (PENN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
4. Blaine Willenborg (PENN) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
5. Josh Pompan (PENN) def. Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 6-3
6. Marshall Sharp (PENN) def. Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4,3,1,6,2,5
1. Parker McGuiness/Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. Jeremy Court/Nicholai Westergaard (PENN) 6-4
2. Santiago Sierra/Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) def. Marshall Sharp/Matt Nardella (PENN) 6-3
3. Justin Archer/Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) vs. Blaine Willenborg/Vim De Alwis (PENN) 3-5, uf