BOISE, Idaho – The 73rd-ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team (7-4) suffered its second road loss of the season Friday against No. 72 Boise State (4-7) at the Boas Tennis Center. Despite the Utes’ loss, head coach Roeland Brateanu saw great potential in his freshmen.
“I’m very proud of our effort today,” said Brateanu, “We had a lot of opportunities to earn a better result, but even without our full line up, we gave Boise State everything they could handle and were very close to an upset. This was a very promising performance from our young guys that will be key for the success of Utah tennis in future years.”
Freshmen Freddie McGeehan and Johan Jonhagen each eanrned a point in singles action. McGeehan netted the first set against Toby Mitchell, 6-3 at the third spot, but was narrowly defeated in the second set, 6-7 (5-7). McGeehan then rallied in the third set, taking it 12-10 in the tiebreak. Jonhagen battled Lewis Roskilly at the No. 5 position, edging the Bronco, 6-3, 6-7 (9-11), 10-2.
Although Boise State captured the doubles point, the Utes gave them a tough challenge at the second and third slots, battling in both sets to tiebreakers. Senior Justin Archer and junior Jamey Swiggart were defeated by Abe Hewko and Brian Foley, 7-6 (8-6) at the No. 3 position, and freshmen Jonhagen and Sierra were defeated by Roskilly and Thomas Tenreiro at the second spot, 7-6 (7-4).
The Utes return to action Saturday at 2 p.m. MT at the Boas Tennis Center against No. 44 Penn.
#72 Boise State 5, #73 Utah 2
1. Garret Patton (BSU) def. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) 6-3, 6-4
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 6-4, 6-4
3. Freddie McGeehan (UTAH) def. Toby Mitchell (BSU) 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (12-10)
4. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-4, 6-4
5. Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) def. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) 6-3, 6-7 (9-11), 1-0 (10-2)
6. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. LP Gascon (UTAH) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: (1,2,4,6,3,5)
1. Toby Mitchell/Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Matt Cowley/Parker McGuiness (UTAH) 6-3
2. Lewis Roskilly/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. John Jonhagen/Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Brian Foley/Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Justin Archer/Jamey Swiggart (UTAH) 7-6 (8-6)
Order of finish: (1,3,2)