SALT LAKE CITY – The 54th ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team (5-3) was narrowly upset on Monday, falling to the Iowa Hawkeyes (6-1), 4-3. The Utes gained an early advantage by winning the doubles point, but Iowa rallied in singles play, winning four out of six matches.
“Very disappointing loss. I felt that we weren’t disciplined and lost to a team we could and should beat,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu, “We beat ourselves today and that’s disappointing. Congrats to Iowa for hanging in there, battling the entire match and coming up with a good win.”
Seniors Cedric Willems and Matt Cowley started doubles play off strong for the Utes, topping the 57th ranked team of Matt Hagan and Dominic Patrick 6-1. Senior Slim Hamza and sophomore Parker McGuiness clinched the doubles point for Utah with a 6-3 victory against Lefteris Theodorou and Stieg Martens.
Willems gave Utah a 2-0 lead after breezing past Lefteris Theodorou in singles play, 6-2, 6-1. Dominic Patrick put Iowa on the board by defeating Cowley 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot. McGuiness increased the Utes’ lead to 3-1 after edging Steve Martens 7-5, 7-5.
Santiago Sierra lost to Jake Jacoby at the No. 6 position as Utah’s lead decreased to 3-2. Freddie McGeehan and Slim Hamza then lost tightly contested three set matches as Iowa escaped with a 4-3 victory.
Utah returns to the court this upcoming Saturday to face Weber State and Idaho State at the Eccles Tennis Center.
Iowa 3, No. 54 Utah 4
- Matt Hagan (IOWA) def. Slim Hamza (UTAH) 2-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
- Cedric Willems (UTAH) def. Lefteris Theodorou (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
- Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 6-1, 6-1
- Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Stieg Martens (IOWA) 7-5, 7-5
- Josh Silverstein (IOWA) def. Freddie McGeehan (UTAH) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
- Jake Jacoby (IOWA) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,3,4,6,1,5
1. Matt Cowley/Cedric Willems (UTAH) def. #57 Matt Hagan/Dominic Patrick (IOWA) 6-1
2. Slim Hamza/Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Lefteris Theodorou/Stieg Martens (IOWA) 6-3
3. Josh Silverstein/Jake Jacoby (IOWA) vs. Santiago Sierra/Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) 5-3
Order of finish: 1,2