SALT LAKE CITY – The 56th-ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team closed out their undefeated home-opening weekend with a 5-2 victory over Montana Sunday at the Eccles Tennis Center. Senior Slim Hamza netted the match-clinching point at the No. 1 singles position.
“We didn’t play our best tennis today, but still came through and took care of business,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu. “The guys have played a lot of tennis this weekend and have earned a couple of days off.”
Freshmen Santiago Sierra and Johan Jonhagen began the match with a win for the Utes in doubles play over Grizzlies Victor Casadevall and Tom Witteveen, 6-1, at the third doubles slot. Montana’s Tomasz Soltyka and Peter Mimnagh-Flemmi answered at the No. 1 spot, topping senior Cedric Willems and junior Matt Cowley , 6-2. Senior Slim Hamza and sophomore Parker McGuiness were able to defeat Semion Branzburg and Alex Braun at the No. 2 position, 7-5, to capture the doubles point for the Utes.
Willems quickly put the Utes up 2-0 in singles play when he topped Mimnagh-Flemmi, 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 2 slot. A 6-2, 6-1 victory from Cowley at the No. 3 spot over Branzburg, followed by Hamza’s 6-2, 6-3 win at the top slot over Soltyka decided the match in favor for Utah at 4-0.
McGuiness then defeated Casadeval at the fourth position, 6-4, 6-3, making the score 5-0. The final score of 5-2 came when the Grizzlies netted their two points at the Nos. 4 and 5 spots.
The Utes return to action Saturday, Feb. 14 in their second double-header of the season at Eccles Tennis Center when they host Northern Colorado and Denver.
#56 University of Utah 5, University of Montana 2
1. Slim Hamza (UTAH) def. Tomasz Soltyka (MONTANA) 6-2, 6-3
2. Cedric Willems (UTAH) def. Peter Mimnagh-Flemmi (MONTANA) 6-3, 6-2
3. Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. Semion Branzburg (MONTANA) 6-2, 6-1
4. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) def. Victor Casadevall (MONTANA) 6-4, 6-3
5. Alexandr Rudenco (MONTANA) def. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 5-7, 6-3, 10-5
6. Alex Braun (MONTANA) def. Johan Jonhagen (UTAH) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 10-5
1. Soltyka/Mimnagh-Flemmi (MONTANA) def. Willems/Cowley (UTAH) 6-2
2. McGuiness/Hamza (UTAH) def. Branzburg/Braun (MONTANA) 7-5
3. Sierra/Jonhagen (UTAH) def. Casadevall/Tom Witteveen (MONTANA) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,3,1,4,6,5)