ATHENS, Ga. – The 60th-ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team (1-1) suffered its first loss of the season Sunday against No. 8 Georgia (2-0), 4-0 in the ITA Kick-Off Championship Game.
“Congrats to Georgia. They are a great team and deserved to win today,” said head coach Roeland Brateanu. “Georgia is a finished product, a top 10 team in the country. It’s very good for our guys to see what the difference is and what we need to do to reach that level of play.”
“I thought we played a lot better doubles today than last friday,” continued Brateanu. “We put ourselves in a position to win. If you want to beat a top 10 team on the road, you need to win that doubles point.”
In singles play, Junior Matt Cowley was defeated by No. 32 Wayne Montgomery, 6-0, 6-1, while sophomore Parker McGuiness fell to No. 101 Nick Wood, 6-2, 6-0. The Georgia Bulldogs clinched the overall match when No. 11 Austin Smith defeated senior Cedric Willems 6-3, 6-4.
Senior Slim Hamza started the third set, but was unable to finish his singles match at No.1 singles against No. 15 ranked Nathan Pasha when the dual match was clinched.
Utah’s home opener at the Eccles Tennis Center is on Saturday, Jan. 31. The Utes will host Montana State at 12 p.m. and Utah State at 5 p.m. MT.
#8 Georgia 4, #60 Utah 0
1. #15 Nathan Pasha (UGA) vs. Slim Hamza (UTAH) 6-3, 3-6, unfinished
2. #11 Austin Smith (UGA) def. Cedric Willems (UTAH) 6-3, 6-4
3. #32 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH) 6-0, 6-1
4. #101 Nick Wood (UGA) def. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) 6-2, 6-0
5. Freddie McGeehan (UU) vs. Ben Wagland (UGA) 2-2 DNF
6. Johan Jonhagen (UU) vs. Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) DNS
Order of finish: (3,4,2)
1. #16 Paul Oosterbaan/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Matt Cowley/Cedric Willems (UTAH) 7-5
2. Slim Hamza/Freddie McGeehan (UTAH) def. #34 Eric Diaz/Austin Smith (UGA) 6-3
3. Nathan Pasha/Nick Wood (UGA) def. Johan Jonhagen/Santiago Sierra (UTAH) 6-2
Order of finish: (3,2,1)