Tucson, Az. – The 53rd ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team (14-8, 2-5) fell to the Arizona Wildcats (12-14, 1-6) on Friday, 4-1.
“To have worked this hard all season long and have the regular season come to an end like this is very, very disappointing,” said assistant coach Roeland Brateanu, “We simply did not compete today and that is unacceptable.”
The Utes got off to a rough start at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center, losing the doubles point, as Arizona won at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Down 0-1, at the No. 3 position Senior Alejandro Medinilla was defeated by Arizona’s Sumeet Shinde, 6-3, 6-1. Mario Urquidi widened the Wildcat’s lead defeating Cedric Willems at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 6-4.
Matt Cowley put the Utes on the board at the No. 6 position after cruising by Robin Chou, 6-4, 6-3. Arizona created an insurmountable deficit after Naoki Takeda downed Senior Ben Tasevac at the No. 2 spot, 6-2, 6-3. Because Arizona clinched match, play at No. 1 and No. 5 singles was suspended.
Despite the loss, the Utes finish 5th in the 2014 Pac-12 regular season standings. Their highest finish since joining the Pac-12.
Utah will head to Ojai, Cal. for the Pac-12 Championships and will get a chance for some revenge when the Utes face the Arizona Wildcats on Wednesday April 23 at 11.00AM PT.
Arizona 4, #53 University of Utah 1
1. Slim Hamza (UTAH) vs. Kieren Thompson (ARIZ), 1-6, 6-0, 2-0 DNF
2. Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) def. Ben Tasevac (UTAH) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sumeet Shinde (ARIZ) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) 6-3, 6-1
4. Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) def. Cedric Willems (UTAH) 6-2, 6-4
5. Devin Lane (UTAH) vs. Will Kneale (ARIZ) 6-3, 2-5 DNF
6. Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. Robin Chou (ARIZ) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,4,6,2
1. Shinde/Takeda (ARIZ) def. Hamza/Willems (UTAH) 8-5
2. Urquidi/Thompson (ARIZ) def. Tasevac/Lane (UTAH) 8-2
3. Cowley/Medinilla (UTAH) def. Dunn/James (ARIZ) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,3,1