Las Vegas, Nev. – The 53rd ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team (12-3) defeated 70th ranked Marquette (9-6) on Friday, 4-3. The match was Utah’s second win of the weekend, as they won 4-3 over UNLV on Thursday.
Assistant coach Roeland Brateanu praised his team’s will to win versus Marquette: “Today was a great team effort. We started off with a lot of passion and energy in doubles and were able to hold onto our lead throughout singles. We now have two weeks to prepare for Pac-12 play when we host Stanford and Cal in Salt Lake City.”
Utah opened the day of play winning at #1 and #3 doubles, thus clinching the doubles point. In singles play, Sophomore Matt Cowley cruised to a 6-3, 6-4 win over Marquette’s Trukov to put the Utes up 2-0. Senior Ben Tasevac and Freshman Patrick Mayer dropped their singles matches at the #2 and #6 positions respectively, but Slim Hamza put the Utes back on top, 3-2, after defeating Mamalat at #1 singles 7-5, 7-5. Senior captain Alejandro Medinilla clinched the match for the Utes after wining over Collins 7-6(5), 6-4, while Devin Lane narrowly lost the last match of the day to Dykema 2-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(6), settling the score at 4-3 in favor of the Utes.
Utah has next week off in preparation for Pac-12 play. The Utes will host Stanford on March 28th and California on March 30th I]in Salt Lake City, Utah.
No. 53 Utah 4, No. 70 Marquette 3
1. Slim Hamza (UTAH) def. Dan Mamalat (MU) 7-5, 7-5
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Ben Tasevac (UTAH) 6-3, 6-4
3. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) def. Logan Collins (MU) 7-6(5), 6-4
4. Nick Dykema (MU) def. Devin Lane (UTAH) 2-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(6)
5. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Patrick Mayer (UTAH) 6-0, 6-4
6. Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. Kristiyan Trukov (MU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 5, 1, 3, 4
1. Willems/Hamza (UTAH) def. Mamalat/Teofanovic (MU) 8-6
2. Skylar/Collins (MU) def. Tasevac/Lane (UTAH) 8-4
3. Medinilla/Cowley (UTAH) def. Tehrani/Dykema (MU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1