Lincoln, Neb. – The University of Utah men’s tennis team (10-2) defeated 44th ranked Nebraska (7-5) late Friday night, 4-3 in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Utes are back in action today, facing 43rd ranked Drake (7-4) in Lincoln, Neb. at 5 p.m. CT.
“We are really proud of the team,” said assistant coach Roeland Brateanu. “Nebraska is a very good team, but we competed very well and fought for each other. It feels good to come up with a win in such a closely contested match, especially given the hostile environment we faced. It was a great team effort.”
The Utes went up early, winning the doubles point after wins by the tandems of Slim Hamza/Cedric Willems and Devin Lane/Ben Tasevac. Nebraska tied the score at the No. 3 singles position when Alejandro Medinilla fell to Tom Blackwell 6-4, 6-2. Devin Lane then toppled the Huskers’ Vasileios Stavropoulos 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5 singles. Soon after, Cedric Willems was edged by Andrew Dzulynsky 6-3, 6-2.
Nebraska took the lead when Dusty Boyer defeated Slim Hamza at No. 1, 7-6 (7), 6-2. Matt Cowley then tied the match at 3-3, after squeezing past Charlie Shin 6-4, 7-5, setting up Ben Tasevac to clinch the match for the Utes in a thriller for the second consecutive match. He defeated Marc Herrmann 4-6, 7-5, 6-3. It marks the third time this season that Tasevac clinched the match for the Utes, after he already did so against New Mexico and BYU.
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. No. 110 Slim Hamza (UTAH) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
2. Ben Tasevac (UTAH) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) 6-4, 6-2
4. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) def. Cedric Willems (UTAH) 6-3, 6-2
5. Devin Lane (UTAH) def. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. Charlie Shin (NU) 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish (3, 5, 4, 1, 6, 2)
1. Willems/Hamza (UTAH) def. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) 8-2
2. Devin Lane/Ben Tasevac (UTAH) def. Marc Herrmann/Beau Treyz (NU) 8-6
3. Dusty Boyer/Scott Elsass (NU) def. Alejandro Medinilla/Matt Cowley (UTAH) 8-4
Order of finish (1, 3, 2)