The No. 74 ranked University of Utah men’s tennis team improved to 13-11 on the season (3-5 Pac-12) with a thrilling 4-3 victory over No. 49 Oregon Ducks in the first round of the Pac-12 Championships in Ojai, California.
The 6th seeded Utes took an early lead after winning the doubles point and took command of the singles matches leading in five of six matches when rain delayed competition for nearly two hours. Little did anyone know that a classic college tennis match would unfold after continuation.
The Utes were able to close out five first sets, but the 7th seeded Ducks didn’t give up and fought their ways back into the match. Daniel Sardu tied the score with a straight set victory over Cedric Willems at the No. 5 singles position, but Dmytro Mamedov and Ben Tasevac put the Utes back on top again, 3-1.
No. 107 Slim Hamza couldn’t hold on to his first set win and neither could Devin Lane, both losing in three sets. With the score tied at 3-3, captain Alejandro Medinilla failed to serve out the match at 5-3, but still prevailed with a 7-5, 3-6, 7-5 win at No. 3 singles.
The Utes advance to the quarterfinals of the Pac-12 Championships for the 2nd year in a row and will now face No. 18 ranked UC Berkeley at 2pm Thursday in Ojai, California. For the complete bracket, please visit here.
#73 Utah 4, #49 Oregon 3
1. #67 Mullen/Cambier (UO) def. Tasevac/Mamedov (UU) 8-2
2. Willems/Hamza (UU) def. Rovello/Sardu (UO) 8-2
3. Lane/Medinilla (UU) def. Clissold/Maasland (UO) 8-5
Order of finish 1,2,3
1. Robin Cambier (UO) def. #107 Slim Hamza (UU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
2. Dmytro Mamedov (UU) def. Jeff Mullen (UO) 6-4, 6-3
3. Alejandro Medinilla (UU) def. Daan Maasland (UO) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
4. Alex Rovello (UO) def. Devin Lane (UU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Daniel Sardu (UO) def. Cedric Willems (UU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ben Tasevac (UU) def. Lova Randriamampandry (UO) 7-6(3), 7-5
Order of finish: 5,2,6,1,4,3