The University of Utah men’s tennis team (12-11, 2-5 Pac-12) won its second Pac-12 match of the regular season, beating the University of Arizona on Senior Day, 6-1.
Dmytro Mamedov, the Utes’ only senior, led the team with decisive victories from No. 1 doubles and No. 2 singles, closing out a wonderful career at the University of Utah. He was honored by coach Robbins and the team during intermission between doubles and singles.
Utah won the doubles point, for only the fifth time this season, and never looked back in singles. Senior Dmytro Mamedov was the first one off the court with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Sumeet Shinde. No. 108 Slim Hamza quickly followed suit at the No. 1 singles position with a 6-1, 6-2 win, setting up Ben Tasevac to clinch the match at No. 6 singles.
Depending on the outcome of the Washington vs. Oregon match today, the Utes are either a No. 6 or No. 7 seed at the Pac-12 Championships next week in Ojai, California.
Utah 6, Arizona 1
1. Mamedov/Tasevac (UU) def. Thompson/Urquidi (UA) 8-4
2. Hamza/Willems (UU) def. Shinde/Bermudez (UA) 8-3
3. Lane/Medinilla (UU) vs. Takeda/Dunn (UA) 6-4 DNF
Order of finish: 1,2
1. No. 108 Slim Hamza (UU) def. Kieren Thompson (UA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Dmytro Mamedov (UU) def. Sumeet Shinde (UA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Alejandro Medinilla (UU) def. Mario Urquidi (UA) 6-4, 7-5
4. Naoki Takeda (UA) def. Devin Lane (UU) 6-4, 6-7(4), 11-9
5. Cedric Willems (UU) def. Carlos Bermudez (UA) 4-6, 7-6(3), 10-6
6. Ben Tasevac (UU) def. Matt Dunn (UA) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 2,1,6,5,3,4