No. 2 ranked UCLA (17-1, 3-0 Pac-12) beat No. 75 Utah (11-8, 1-2 Pac-12) on Friday in Los Angeles, California, 6-1.
The Bruins started the day off dominating the doubles and went up 3-0 after Dmytro Mamedov and Devin Lane lost quickly. The Utes posted somewhat of a comeback and battled throughout all the other matches. But, Cedric Willems couldn’t prevent Karou Sell from clinching the match for UCLA.
Junior captain Alejandro Medinilla battled No. 57 ranked Dennis Mkrtchian but came up short after winning the first set and Ben Tasevac came up short against Maxime Tabatruong at the No. 6 singles position.
The Utes posted their only victory from the No. 2 singles position where Slim Hamza upset No. 19 ranked Adrian Puget to remain undefeated in Pac-12 play this season.
Utah will play four time defending NCAA Champion USC Trojans (20-2, 2-0 Pac-12) tomorrow, Saturday, at Marks Stadium in Los Angeles, California at 1pm.
#75 Utah 1, #2 UCLA 6
1. #60 Giron/Novikov (UCLA) def. Lane/Hamza (UU) 8-1
2. Puget/Thompson (UCLA) vs. Mamedov/Medinilla (UU) 6-3, unfinished
3. Mkrtchian/Brigham (UCLA) def. Tasevac/Willems (UU) 8-2
Order of finish: 1,3
1. #14 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Dmytro Mamedov (UU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Slim Hamza (UU) def. #19 Adrian Puget (UCLA) 7-5, 6-4
3. #57 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
4. #114 Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Devin Lane (UU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Karou Sell (UCLA) def. Cedric Willems (UU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Ben Tasevac (UU) 7-6(5), 6-3
Order of finish: 1,4,5,3,2,6