LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The University of Utah men’s tennis team (5-2) dropped a 5-2 decision to 49th-ranked Santa Clara (6-2) Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex. Senior Benito Suriano and freshman Slim Hamza earned Utah’s two points from the Nos. 1 and 3 positions, respectively.
“I think we played a really good team today, but I thought we competed really well,” said head coach F.D. Robbins. “We had some chances in doubles that we didn’t capitalize on. But I felt the team competed very well and got a lot better today.”
In doubles play, Suriano and Mamedov were defeated by Lamble and Osintev, 8-1, at the top spot. The Broncos then earned the doubles point when sophomore Alejandro Medinilla and Matias then fell to Dandan and Vinel, 8-5, at the No. 2 position.
Hamza and Lane then defeated Pham and Muchynski at the No. 3 slot, 5-4, before the match was retired.
In singles play, sophomore Devin Lane fell to Ilya Osintev, 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 4 position, ending his six-match streak and making the score 2-0 in favor of the Broncos. Matias then dropped a 7-5, 6-2 decision to Tom Pham at the No. 4 spot.
Despite dropping the first set 1-6, Hamza netted the second and third sets by identical scores of 6-4, topping Nicolas Vinel at the No. 3 spot, to make the score 3-1, Santa Clara.
Santa Clara then saw their match clinching point at 4-1 when junior Dmytro Mamedov’s six-match winning streak ended when he fell to John Lamble, 6-2, 6-3, at the second spot.
At the No.1 singles slot, Suriano then captured his first victory over a ranked opponent, topping No. 103 ranked Kyle Dandan, 7-6, 4-3, before the match was retired, making the score 4-2. Freshman Rafael Davidian then suffered a 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 loss to Eugene Muchynski at the No. 6 position.
The Utes return to action to host Northern Arizona Friday at the Eccles Tennis Center at 5 p.m.
1. Benito Suriano (UU) def. #103 Kyle Dandan (SC) 7-6, 4-3, retired
2. John Lamble (SC) def. Dmytro Mamedov (UU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Slim Hamza (UU) def. Nicolas Vinel (SC) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Tom Pham (SC) def. Ace Matias (UU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Ilya Osintev (SC) def. Devin Lane (UU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Eugene Muchynski (SC) def. Rafael Davidian (UU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 6
1. John Lamble/Ilya Osintev (SC) def. Benito Suriano/Dmytro Mamedov (UU) 8-1
2. Kyle Dandan/Nicolas Vinel (SC) def. Alejandro Medidilla/Ace Matias (UU) 8-5
3. Slim Hamza/Devin Lane (UU) def. Tom Pham/Eugene Muchynski (SC) 5-4, retired
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3